Johnson & Johnson
BE - Research and Development Scientist
Johnson & Johnson Worksense (via Randstad Sourceright) is responsible for finding, engaging and contracting talent for the Johnson & Johnson contingent workforce.
At our Janssen Research and Development site in Beerse, Belgium we have a temporary position for a motivated individual with a strong ability to connect, to deliver on goals and objectives, foster an environment of collaboration, collegiality, and positive communication. Candidates will have to work in the context of a multidisciplinary, global, geographically disperse team.
The Structural & Protein Sciences department is responsible for the delivery of proteins to enable assay development, HTS, pharmacological profiling and structural biology (X-ray crystallography, Cryo-EM and NMR). The Protein Science Team collaborates closely with Janssen Therapeutic Areas and functional teams and with external collaborators in academia and industry.
- Support protein production from small-scale expression testing to upscaling and protein purification and quality control analysis of produced proteins for H2L and LO activities in the different projects.
- Majority (90 %) of time will be hands-on work in the laboratory.
- Perform protein expression in bacteria, yeast, baculovirus / insect cells and mammalian systems to support the purification of proteins for screening, crystallography and assay development.
- Purify proteins using different types of chromatography (affinity, ion exchange, size exclusion) on Akta equipment.
- Test innovative approaches to protein production including evaluation of new technologies.
- Perform quality control on produced proteins.
- Analyze, interpret, summarize and report experimental data. Maintain accurate records (electronic notebook). Write and update protocols and reports.
- Present results and conclusions at internal team meetings.
- Assist or take responsibility for various tasks such as shipping logistics, database entry of externally produced reagents, maintenance of cell lines, etc.
- Review reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Communicate effectively with investigational staff, team members and functional manager.
- Work under limited supervision with a high level of autonomy.
- Positive attitude, enthusiastic and motivated.
- Strictly adhere to local safety regulations and laboratory rules.
- Bachelor, Master or PhD degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Science, ...
- 2 or more years industry experience is preferred.
- Experience in recombinant expression of proteins in various heterologous systems (E. coli bacteria, insect cells, mammalian cell lines, cell-free systems) is required.
- Expertise in the purification of high-quality proteins using standard techniques and equipment (affinity, ion exchange, size exclusion chromatography via FPLC, SDS-PAGE, Westerns) is required.
- Expertise in protein characterization using techniques such as analytical gel filtration, mass spectrometry, dynamic light scattering, nano DSF, SPR is preferred.
- Experience in protein construct design is preferred.
- Knowledge of protein crystallization and structure determination is a plus
- Flexible working hours.
- This is a contracting position, with the possibility of an extension after the end date. You will receive a contract via our partner Ausy. Ausy can offer you a contract of indefinite duration or a project contract for the duration of the assignment at J&J.